Thursday, April 18, 2013

Teacher Confessions - One of THOSE days.

Today (April 16) was one of those days where I question why I am a teacher.

A screenshot of my tweet
My 5th period class & 7th period class had some kids in it today that acted so horribly, I wanted to punch those kids in the throat. like LITERALLY.

 It's just a figure of speech, I'd never actually do it.
One, I'm not good on following through on physical violence but today, I really thought about it.

The students were super obnoxious.

What is up with some of the kids nowadays? (Man I sound old). Some of the kids nowadays are so self centered! 
Do you think it's because Facebook makes people more self centered and all "me, me me!"? 

Some of these kids can not help themselves but comment on EVERY LITTLE thing. They have to always say something, have the last word. It's really annoying when you're trying to get class going and all these kids keep interruppting you because they HAVE to say something. 

Again, Facebook, where you have the opportunity to comment on everything!! 

I have tried to explain that real life is not like Facebook. MY classroom is not like Facebook where you can comment on everything. This behavior is super obnoxious!!

Some of the kids don't take responsibility for their actions. It's "not my fault. Someone else is to blame for my actions." Who teaches these kids?! We have a responsibility as parents and adults to teach our children about accountability and consequences. 

My responsibility as a teacher is to reinforce what parents should already be doing at home. But it seems like an unwritten part of a teacher's job description is to also parent. Why would I want to do that? I have my own children that I would rather worry about. Don't get me wrong, I'll still do "parenting" at work but that's not my main job. My main job is to TEACH. Seriously, we teachers do not get paid enough. 

I love teaching but sometimes, it can be really overwhelming and the combination of students, parents and admin can just get to someone and make you wanna scream.

Tomorrow will be a better day. I only have one class! 

No comments: