Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Review of "42"

We were able to go to an advanced screening of 42, thanks to gofobo.com at Ward Theaters in town last night. We did stand in line for a couple hours but hey, a free movie, is a free movie. We could now afford to get the kids popcorn and a drink. 

Check out my review here: http://www.gofobo.com/movie/42_2013/movie_review/13407821

or just keep reading...since I did just edit it a little bit.

I literally had no expectations for this movie. All I knew was that it was about Jackie Robinson. As the movie rolled on, I kept finding things I liked about it. 
Yes, it concentrated on the racism surrounding the first black man to play professional baseball, whether it was from the spectators or from his teammates, it was very prevalent and something he had to go through. What I really liked about the movie was that it also concentrated on his baseball skills, he wasn't just there because he was black, it was because of his talent. I liked that it showed a lot of baseball being played. 
It wasn't a heavy movie, it had its light moments which helped relieve some of the tension in the movie. I also really loved the changes that happen to the people around him and how they started changing.
I did have questions on authenticity but since it is a movie made in Hollywood and it had the "based on a true story" disclaimer, we can only hope they did Jackie Robinson justice.
It is certainly a movie I would recommend to everyone...over the age of 13. It has some words that might be harder to explain to someone that hasn't been exposed to racial and/or derogatory terms.

No comments: